You are here
Viola Birss is a world leader in the area of electrochemistry at surfaces and interfaces, and in nanomaterials development for a wide range of clean energy applications. She is a professor in UCalgary's Department of Chemistry and has been a Canada Research Chair in Fuel Cells and Related Energy Systems since 2004. Viola was a co-founder and leader of both the Western Canada Fuel Cell Initiative and the Solid Oxide Fuel Cells Canada (SOFCC) Network and is currently the scientific director of the Calgary Advanced Energy Storage and Conversion Research Technology group in Calgary. Viola's team has been developing electrocatalysts and support materials for high temperature (SOFC) and low temperature fuel cells, electrolysis cells and supercapacitors. She is also active in the development of nanostructurally ordered nanomaterials, as well as electrochemical pathogen sensors.
- Cuijuan Zhang, Min Chen, Scott C. Paulson, Richard G. Rateick Jr., Viola I. Birss 2016. “New insights into the early stages of thermal oxidation of carbon/carbon composites using electrochemical methods” Carbon, Volume 108, Pages 178–189
- Aligul Buyukaksoy and Viola Birss J. 2016. “Highly active nanoscale Ni-Yttria Stabilized Zirconia Anodes for Micro-Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Applications Power Sources” Ms. No.: POWER-D-15-04096R1, Volume 307, Pages 449–453
- Handal, H., Addo, P., Buyukaksoy, A. Birss, V. I., & Thangadurai. “Evaluation of MIEC Ce0.8Y0.1Mn0.1O2-8 Anode in Electrolyte-Supported SOFC” V. J. of The Electrochemical Society. Volume 163, Issue 11, F3091-F3098
- RM Mayall, M Renaud-Young, NWC Chan, VI Birss. “An Electrochemical Lipopolysaccharide Sensor Based on an Immobilized Toll-Like Receptor-4 Biosensors & Bioelectronics.” 10.1016/j.bios.2016.09.009 (in press)
- E.N. El Sawy, H.T. Handal, V. Thangadurai, V.I. Birss. “PtxIry Alloy Nanoparticles with Fully Tunable Bulk and Surface Compositions.” Journal of Materials Chemistry A, (in press)
- Aligul Buyukaksoy, Viola Birss. “Comparison of the Electrochemistry of Ni Thin Film and Ni-YSZ Composite Anodes Fabricated by Polymeric Precursor.” Deposition J. Electrochem. Soc. (in press)