You are here
Beaumie Kim, PhD, is an associate professor and chair of Learning Sciences with UCalgary’s Werklund School of Education. Her work is focused on learners’ creating games as models of worlds for their own learning. Her research work is carried out in collaboration with teachers and students as design partners, and by observing their interactions, discourse and artifacts.
- Kim, B., Tan, L., & Bielaczyc, K. (2015). Learner-generated designs in participatory culture: what they are and how they are shaping learning (Commentary for the special issue). Interactive Learning Environments, 23 (5), 545-555. doi:10.1080/10494820.2015.1067974.
- Kim, B., Pathak, S. A., Jacobson, M. J., Zhang, B., & Gobert, J. D. (2015). Cycles of exploration, reflection, and consolidation in model-based learning of genetics. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 24(6), 789–802. doi:10.1007/s10956-015-9564-6.
- Jacobson, M. J., Kim, B., Pathak, S., & Zhang, B. (2015). To guide or not to guide: issues in the sequencing of pedagogical structure in computational model-based learning. Interactive Learning Environments, 23(6), 715–730. doi:10.1080/10494820.2013.792845
- Tan, L., & Kim, B. (2015). Learning by doing in the digital media age: the contention of learning in adolescents' literacy practices. In Lin, T., Chen, V., & Chai, C.S. (Eds.), New media and learning in the 21st century: a sociocultural perspective (Education Innovation in Singapore Series) (pp.181-197). Singapore: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-981-287-326-2_12
- Wang, X., Kim, B., Lee, J. & Kim, M. (2014). Encouraging and being encouraged: Development of an epistemic community and teacher professional development in the classroom. Teaching and Teacher Education, 44, 12-24. doi:10.1016/j.tate.2014.07.009
- Kim, B., Tan, L., & Tan, S. C. (2014). “Perhaps this can be for education”: learners’ cultural models for educational game design. In M. Orey, S. A. Jones, & R. M. Branch (Eds.), Educational Media and Technology Yearbook (Vol. 38) (pp.25-46). New York: Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-06314-0_3
- Kim, B., Tan, L., & Kim, M. S. (2013). The affordances of informant design in educational game development.International Journal of Arts and Technology (IJART), 6 (3), 215-228. doi:10.1504/IJART.2013.055388
- Kim, B., Lossman, H. G., & Hay, K. E. (2012). Learners’ informal ideas and model creation for conceptual change. In Lee, C. B. & Jonassen, D. H. (Eds.), Fostering Conceptual Change with Technology: Asian Perspectives (pp. 119-140). Singapore: Cengage Learning Asia.
- Pathak, S. A., Kim, B., Jacobson, M. J., & Zhang, B. H. (2011). Learning the physics of electricity: A qualitative analysis of collaborative processes involved in productive failure. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, 6(1), 57-73.
- Kim, B., & Kim, M. S. (2010). Distributed emotions in the design of learning technologies. Educational Technology, 50(5), 14-19.
- Kim, B. & Reeves, T. C. (2007). Reframing research on learning with technology: In search of the meaning of cognitive tools. Instructional Science, 35 (3), 207-256.