You are here
Steven Bryant is a professor in the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering at the Schulich School of Engineering and the first Canada Excellence Research Chair (CERC) in Materials Engineering for Unconventional Oil Reservoirs at the University of Calgary. He is helping lead the exploration for new and sustainable ways to develop unconventional oil reservoirs by taking advantage of advances in materials science. His role is to accelerate transformation of the industry’s approach to in-situ extraction of energy from the oilsands. He has led the way in the fields of digital petrophysics and nanoparticles for engineering applications, as well as making some of the most significant advances in the past 20 years in porous media modelling, reactive transport theory and CO2 sequestration.
- Yu, H., He, Y., Li, P., Li, S., Zhang, T., Rodriguez-Pin, E., Du, S., Wang, C., Chen, S., Bielawski, C.W., Bryant, S.L., and Huh, C. “Flow enhancement of water-based nanoparticle dispersion through microscale sedimentary rocks.” Scientific Reports 5: 8702, pp.1-8. 2015.
- Worthen, A., Foster, L., Dong, J., Bollinger, J., Peterman, A., Pastora, L., Bryant, S., Truskett, T., Bielawski, C., Johnston, K. “Synergistic Formation and Stabilization of Oil-in-Water Emulsions by a Weakly-Interacting Mixture of Zwitterionic Surfactant and Silica Nanoparticles”. Langmuir 30: 984-994, 2014.
- Bhandari, A.R., Flemings, P.B., Polito, P.J., Cronin, M.B., and Bryant, S.L. “Anisotropy and Stress Dependence of Permeability in the Barnett Shale”. Transp Porous Med 108 (482): pp. 393-411. 2015.
- Huerta, N.J., Hesse, M.A., Bryant, S.L., Strazisar, B.R., and Lopano, C. “Reactive transport of CO2-saturated water in a cement fracture: Application to wellbore leakage during geologic CO2 storage”. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. 2015.
- You, K., Kneafsey, T.J., Flemings, P.B., Polito, P., and Bryant, S.L. “Salinity-buffered methane hydrate formation and dissociation in gas-rich systems”, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 120 (2): pp. 643-661. 2015.
- Meckel, T.A., Bryant, S.L., Ganesh, P. “Characterization and prediction of CO2 saturation resulting from modeling buoyant fluid migration in 2D heterogeneous geologic fabrics”. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 34: pp. 85-96. 2015.