You are here
Lina Kattan is an associate professor of civil engineering at UCalgary's Schulich School of Engineering. She holds several other key research positions related to critical traffic management solutions, and is the Urban Alliance Professor in Transportation Systems Optimization.
Lina’s research focuses on advanced traffic management and information systems, freeway management, traveler information systems, network microsimulation modeling and analysis, application of artificial intelligence to intelligent transportation systems (ITS), dynamic demand modeling, autonomous and connected vehicle, traveler behavioral modeling in response to ITS and applications of ITS to public transit.
- Baher Abdulhai, and Lina Kattan (2003): “Traffic Engineering Analysis" in Handbook of Transportation Engineering. Chapter 6, in Kutz, M., “Handbook of Transportation Engineers”, McGraw Hill Publishing, ISBN: 0071391223, p. 6.1 – 6.72. November, 2003.
- Baher Abdulhai, Lina Kattan, and Mohamad El Dareiby (2011): “Traffic Engineering Primer" in Handbook of Transportation Engineering”. Chapter 1 in In Kutz M. Editor. McGraw Hill, ISBN: ISBN: 988-0-07-161477-1 p. 1.1 – 1.72.
- Lina Kattan and Baher Abdulhai (2011): “Traffic Origin-Destination Estimation” in Handbook of Transportation Engineering. Chapter 2 in Kutz M. Editor. McGraw Hill, ISBN: 988-0-07-161477-1, 2.1 – 2.14.
Refereed journal articles (accepted/published)
- Patrick Miller, Alex de Barros, Lina Kattan, and Chan Wirasinghe: Analyzing Public Transit For Sustainability Performance. Accepted in Transportation Research- Part D: Transport and Environment.
- Md. Matiur Rahman, Wirasinghe, and L. Kattan. Effect of time interval of bus location data on real-time bus arrival estimations. Transportmetrica A: Transport Science. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23249935.2016.1166159
- S. Saidi S.C. Wirasinghe, and L. Kattan: “Long-term Planning for Ring-radial Urban Rail Transit Networks –Transportation Research Part B; doi:10.1016/j.trb.2016.01.017.
- Samanthi W. Durage, S.C. Wirasinghe, J.Y. Ruwanpura, Lina Kattan, Shawn Marshall (2015). Canadian Prairie Tornadoes - Preplanning for Warning Issuance & Evacuations. Accepted in International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction; doi:10.1016/j.ijdrr.2015.10.008.
- Saidi S.C. Wirasinghe and Lina Kattan: “Long-term Planning for Ring-radial Urban Rail Transit Networks – Accepted with minor changes in Transportation Research Part B.
- Bidoura Khondaker and Lina Kattan: Variable Speed Limit: A Microscopic Analysis in a Connected Vehicle Environment. Transportation Research- Part –C: Emerging Technologies, Volume 58, Part A, September 2015, Pages 146–159.
- Patrick Miller, Alexandre G. de Barros, Lina Kattan, S.C. Wirasinghe. Public Transportation and Sustainability: a review. Accepted in KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering.
- Shahram Tahmasseby, Lina Kattan, and Brian Babrour: "Propensity to Participate in a Peer-To-Peer Social-Network Based Carpooling System" Journal of Advanced Transportation, Volume 50, Issue 2, March 2016, Pages: 240–254,
- Bidoura Khondaker and Lina Kattan (2014): Variable Speed Limit: An Overview. Transportation Letters: International Journal of Transportation Research. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1179/1942787514Y.0000000053.
- Lina Kattan, Bidoura Khondaker, Olesya Derushkina and Eswar Poosarla (2014). A Probe-Based Variable Speed Limit System - A Sensitivity Analysis. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems: Technology, Planning, and Operations. Volume 19, Issue 3, pp 1- 16.
- Tahmasseby S. and Lina Kattan (2015): Comparison of the viability of personal rapid transit (PRT) and urban gondola feeder systems for a university campus and its surroundings. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, vol. 42, pp. 67–79.
- Richard Tay, Lina Kattan, and Yuan Bai (2014): Factors Contributing to Police Attendance at Motor Vehicle Crash Scenes. Journal of Transportation Research Forum Vol.53, No. 3, pp. 101 - 115.
- Maryam Tabeshian and Lina Kattan (2014). Modeling Nonmotorized Travel Demand at Intersections Based on Traffic Counts and GIS Data in Calgary, Canada. Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2430, pp. 38–46.
- Saeid Saidi, S.C. Wirashinghe, and Lina Kattan (2014). Rail Transit: Exploration with Emphasis on Networks with Ring Lines. Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2419, pp. 23-32.
- Yuan Bai and Lina Kattan (2014). Modelling Riders’ Behavioral Response to Real-time information on LRT Stations. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Volume 2412 / Travel Behavior 2014, Vol. 1. pp. 82-92.
- Karan Arora, Bidoura Khondaker, Saeid Saidi, and Lina Katan (2014). Derivation of Van Aerde trafic stream model and studying the effect of Ramp Metering. Discovery Journal, Volume 2, Number 71, pp. 2-28.
- Samanthi Durage, Lina Kattan, S. Chan, Wirashinge, and Janaka Ruwanpura (2014). Evacuation Behaviour of Households and Drivers during a Tornado - Analysis Based on a Stated Preference Survey in Calgary, Canada. Natural Hazards, vol. 71, issue 3, pp. 1495-1517.
- Lina Kattan, Alexandre G. de Barros, and Hina Saleemi (2013). Travel Behavior Changes and Responses to Advanced Traveler Information in Prolonged and Large-Scale Network Disruptions: A Case Study of West LRT Line Construction in the City of Calgary. Transportation Research: Part F: Traffic and Psychology, Vol. 21, pp. 90 - 102.
- Joydip Majumder, Lina Kattan, Khandkar Nurul Habib and Tak Shing Fung (2013): Modeling Traveler Response to Variable Message Sign International Journal of Urban Sciences, Vol. 16, pp. 259 - 280.
- Md. Matiur Rahman, S.C. Wirasinghe, and Lina Kattan (2013): Users’ Views on Current and Future Real Time Bus Information Systems. Journal of Advanced Transportation. Volume 47, Issue 3, pages 336–354.
- S.C. Wirasinghe, Lina Kattan, M.M. Rahman, J. Hubbell, R. Thilakaratne, S. Anowar, (2013): Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) – a review. International Journal of Urban Sciences. Vol 17, N.1 pp. 1- 31.
- Lina Kattan and Saeid Saidi (2013). Comparative Analysis of Probe-Based Ramp Metering with Detector-Based and Pre-Timed Ramp Metering. Journal of Advanced Transportation. Vol. 47, Iss 1, pp. 61 - 78.
- Lina Kattan, Moussavi M., Far B., Harschnitz C., Radmanesh A. and Saidi Saeid (2012). Microsimulation Evaluation of the Potential Impacts of Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communication (V2V) in Disseminating Warning Information under High Incident Occurrence Conditions. International Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems Research (IJIR) in Volume 10, Number 3, pp. 137-147.
- Hunter, A.J.S., S. Steiniger, B.A. Sandalack, S.H.L. Liang, Lina Kattan, A. Shalaby, F. Alaniz Uribe, C.A.M. Bliss Taylor and R. Martinson (2012), PlanYourPlace: a geospatial infrastructure for sustainable community planning, Revue Internationale de Geomatique 22(2), pp. 223-253.
- Reza Omrani and Lina Kattan (2012): Demand and Supply Calibration of Dynamic Traffic Assignment (DTA) Models: Past Efforts and Future Challenges Transportation Research Record. Vol. 2283, pp.100-112.
- Mohamad Asim Arslan, Lina Kattan, and S. Chan Wirasinghe (2012). Adaptive Signal Control with LRT Preemption: Network Calibration, Theoretical Development and a Case Study on a Single Intersection in VISSIM. Traffic Engineering and Control (TEC), Vol. 53. No.6, pp.230-240.
- Lina Kattan and Abdulhai Baher (2012): Sensitivity Analysis of an Evolutionary based Time Dependent Origin/Destination Estimation Framework IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Vol. 13 (3), pp. 1442 - 1453.
- Lina Kattan, Khandker Nurul Habib, Nadeem Shahid and Islam Tazul (2011): Information Provision and Driver Compliance to ATIS Application: Case Study on the Interaction between Variable Message Sign and Other Sources of Traffic Updates in Calgary, Canada. Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 38(12): 1335-1346, 10.1139/l11-093.
- Lina Kattan, Tay Richard and Shanti Acharjee (2011): Managing Speed at School and Playground Zones, in Accident Analysis and Prevention, 43(5), pp. 1887-1891.
- Matiur Rahman, Lina Kattan, and Richard Tay (2011): Injury Risks In Collisions Involving Buses In Alberta. Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2265, pp 13-26.
- Lina Kattan and Abdulhai Baher (2011): Comparative Analysis of Evolutionary, Local Search, and Hybrid Approaches to O/D Traffic Estimation Journal of Transportation Engineering. Volume 137, Issue 1, pp. 46-56.
- Tay Richard, Choi Jaisung, Lina Kattan and Khan Amjad (2011): A Multinomial Logit Model of Pedestrian-Vehicle Crash Severity International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 233 - 249.
- Khandker Nurul Habib, Lina Kattan, and Islam Tazul (2011) Model of Personal Attitudes towards Transit Service Quality. Journal of Advanced Transportation, Volume 45, Issue 4, pp. 271–285.
- Lina Kattan, Khandker Nurul Habib, Nadeem Shahid and Islam Tazul (2010): Modelling Travellers' Response to Incident Information Provided by Variable Message Signs in Calgary, Canada. Transportation Research Record, Vol. 10-0478, pp. 71-80.
- Tay Richard, Lina Kattan, and Sun Huafei (2010): Logistic Model of Hit-and-Run Crashes in Calgary’’, Canadian Journal of Transportation, Volume 4 part 1, pp. 1-10.
- Lina Kattan, Alex de Barros and S. Chan Wirasinghe (2010): Analysis of Work Trips Made by Taxi in Canadian Cities Journal Advanced Transportation, Volume 44 Issue 1, pp. 11 – 18.
- Lina Kattan, Acharjee Shanti and Tay Richard (2009): Pedestrian Scramble Operations: Pilot Study in Calgary, Canada, Transportation Research Record, Vol. 2140, pp. 79-84.
- Barua Upal, Tay Richard and Lina Kattan (2009): Factors Contributing to Hit-and-Run Crashes in California. Accident Analysis and Prevention, Volume 42, pp. 227- 233.
- Lina Kattan and Abdulhai Baher (2006): Non-iterative Approach to Dynamic Traffic Origin-Destination Estimation Using Parallel Evolutionary Algorithms. Transportation Research Record, Iss.1964, pp. 201-210.
- Abdulhai Baher and Lina Kattan (2003): Reinforcement Learning: Introduction to Theory and Potential for Transport Applications, Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering CSCE Journal, Vol. 30, pp. 981-992.
- Kaysi Isam, Mahmassani Hani, Arnaout Sati' and Lina Kattan, (2000): Phasing out lead in automotive fuels: conversion considerations, policy formulation, and application to Lebanon, Transportation Research – Part D: Transport and Environment, Volume: 5, Issue: 6, pp. 403-418.