You are here
Christopher Clarkson is a professor in the Department of Geoscience in UCalgary's Faculty of Science and the AITF Shell/Encana Chair in Unconventional Gas and Light Oil research. He leads an industry-sponsored group called the Tight Oil Consortium, which focuses on these research topics for unconventional light oil reservoirs in Western Canada. Christopher has collaborated with neutron research scientists to apply non-conventional methods, such as small- and ultra-small-angle neutron scattering techniques, to rigorously characterize the pore structure of unconventional gas and light oil reservoirs. He is also looking at ways to quantify fluid-rock interaction (wettability) at the micro-scale using the university’s environmental scanning electron microscope. Christopher’s group is also pioneering methods for quantitatively analyzing cuttings for reservoir and rock mechanical properties. This research will enable improved reservoir targeting for stimulation and modeling of multi-fractured horizontal wells.
- Clarkson, C.R. 2013. Production Data Analysis of Unconventional Gas Wells: Review of Theory and Best Practices. Invited Review Article, International Journal of Coal Geology (IJCG) 109-110 (1): 101-146. DOI: 10.1016/j.coal.2013.01.002
- Clarkson, C.R. 2013. Production Data Analysis of Unconventional Gas: Workflow. Invited Teaching Aid Article, International Journal of Coal Geology (IJCG) 109-110 (1): 147-157. DOI: 10.1016/j.coal.2012.11.016
- *Clarkson, C.R., Nobakht, M., Kaviani, D. and Ertekin, T. 2012. Production Analysis of Tight-Gas and Shale-Gas Reservoirs Using the Dynamic-Slippage Concept. SPE Journal 17 (1): 230-242. DOI: 10.2118/144317-PA. *Top downloaded paper for SPEJ for several months in 2012/2013.
- *Clarkson, C.R., and Beierle, J.J. 2011. Integration of Microseismic and Other Post-Fracture Surveillance with Production Analysis: A Tight Gas Study. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering (JNGSE) 3: 382-401. DOI: 10.1016/j.jngse.2011.03.003. *Original conference paper summary published in October 2010 issue of JPT, an SPE magazine circulated to 100,000+ SPE members worldwide.
- Qanbari, F., Clarkson, C.R., 2013. A New Method for Dry Gas and Gas Condensate Production Data Analysis for Tight and Shale Gas Reservoirs during Transient Linear Flow Period. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering (JNGSE) 14: 55-65. DOI: 10.1016/j.jngse.2013.05.005
- Ghanizadeh, A., Clarkson, C.R., Aquino, S., Ardakani, O.H., Sanei, H., and 2015 Petrophysical and Geomechanical Characteristics of Canadian Tight Oil and Liquid-Rich Gas Reservoirs: I. Pore Network and Permeability Characterization. Fuel 153: 664-681.
- Ghanizadeh, A., Clarkson, C.R., Aquino, S., Ardakani, O.H., Sanei, H., and 2015 Petrophysical and Geomechanical Characteristics of Canadian Tight Oil and Liquid-Rich Gas Reservoirs: II. Geomechanical Property Estimation. Fuel 153: 682-691.